Stacy Easton is a licensed electrologist and makeup artist who graduated from Eastern Institute of Electrology, Von Lee International School of Aesthetics in Pikesville, Maryland, and the University of Maryland in College Park.
• Minimum Electrolysis Treatment Is 15 Minutes
• Fees for Services Are Payable upon Completion of Appointment
• Promptness Is Requested to Ensure Full, Effective Treatment Sessions
• All Cancellations Should Be Made 24 Hours in Advance to Avoid Cancellation Fees
• American Electrologists Association
• International Guild of Professional Electrologists
• Maryland Association of Professional Electrologists
• Montgomery County, MD
• Washington D.C.
Tuesday: 9:a.m – 8 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 – 6 p.m.
Thursday: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m
Friday: 7:00 a.m. – Noon
Saturday: 8 a.m – 4 p.m.
Ask About Extended Hours
Call Us in Rockville, Maryland, at (301) 231-8900 to Make an Appointment
Visit Our New Location in Rockville, MD
There are three FDA approved modalities for permanent hair removal: electrolysis, thermolysis, and the blend. All three modalities may be collectively referred to as electrolysis. To remove hair using the short wave method of electrolysis, a fine sterile probe is inserted alongside the hair shaft and down to the base of the follicle. By activating a foot pedal, the electrologist releases a burst of heat through the needle that quickly causes electrocoagulation or destruction of the tissue.
This low-level current causes the destruction of the papilla (source of nourishment of a growing hair), the hair germ cells, and the hair follicle itself. At this point, the hair has loosened enough for it to be efficiently removed. This process also prevents the regeneration of future hair.
While electrolysis is the only permanent method of hair removal, it is important to understand that it does not become permanent after just one treatment. You will require regular and consistent treatments over a period of time. The length of your treatment time depends on the amount of hair, its coarseness, the cause of growth, previous manipulations of the hair, and various other factors. Once the dermal papilla is eliminated, the hair will no longer grow.
Most electrologists encounter three primary obstacles in the removal of hair. These obstacles typically dictate the length of time necessary to eradicate the problem.
Hair is continuously shedding and replacing itself. For any given hair, only 80% of it is visible. The remaining 20% is constantly emerging and regenerating. These growing hairs require treatment as they surface.
When distortion occurs, the follicle may be twisted, curved, bent, or spiraled rather than straight. Distorted hair follicles are usually the result of waxing, shaving, and tweezing-but they may also be found naturally in black and pubic hair. Since our probes are straight, they may not be able to reach the base of the follicle to destroy the papilla. Several treatments may be required to straighten the follicle and complete the process.
Regrowth is a treated hair that manages to grow back. The electrologist cannot observe below the epidermis; therefore, regrowth depends entirely on the electrologist's sense of touch. On dark or coarse hair, the papilla may be too large and too deeply rooted to completely destroy in one treatment. For these hairs, a lower intensity heat is used, and the papilla is broken down carefully over a series of treatments. Although this process extends the treatment time, it is necessary for your protection and comfort. The amount of regrowth can vary from 20% to 80%. Regrowth does not occur until approximately 8 to 10 weeks after your initial treatment. Regrowth is generally lighter in color, smaller in diameter, and more sparsely located than the original hair.
Due to these obstacles and other possible complications of hair growth, permanent hair removal of a given area may take anywhere from several months to a full year. However, most of our patients agree that the time and money are well spent.
Stipulated by the FDA, electrolysis is the only recognized method of permenent hair removal. Laser hair removal on the other hand, is termed hair reduction. Laser hair removal targets the pigment of the hair; If the hair color and skin tone are too similar, the laser can no longer determine its target. Electrolysis can treat all hair regardless of texture and color.
Contact us in Rockville, Maryland, at (301)-231-8900 to schedule an appointment with our electrologist.